Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Night Huntress Books Binge

Night Huntress Book Binge

Night Huntress Novels

I love, love, love reading, but I have a problem--once I start a series, I need to read them all.  Immediately.  Right now.  It's usually for the best if I don't discover a series until it's well underway, because otherwise I go through withdrawal while I wait for the next book to come out.  Sometimes waiting the year for the next book actually makes me lose interest in a series, because the immediacy of their world has faded.

I was initially skeptical of the Night Huntress series because I feel that any book that deals with vampires, ghouls, and--shudder--half-vampires, has the opportunity to fail.  Epically.  But instead of the cliche and trite, I discovered a kick-ass heroine and an explosive romance.  That's about all it takes for me to fall wildly in love with a book, and so I sat down and read the next four books in the series without really pausing for breath.

Ironically, Jeaniene Frost claims to have found her inspiration from a dream, much like Stephanie Myers dreamed up her infamous Edward and Bella of Twilight. Frost says, "In my dream, I saw a man and a woman arguing. Somehow I knew the woman was a half-vampire, the man was a full vampire, and they were arguing because he was angry that she'd left him."

What I want to know is: what god I need to pray to in order to have a vampire dream that leads to a multi-book publishing contract? Is there a special herb that these women are smoking before they sleep? Tylenol PM? Or is there a patron saint of vampires that will visit your dreams if you are a very, very good writer? Sigh.

Anyway, the series rocks. Kat Crawford knows how to throw knives, jump off buildings, and lure evil vampires in for the kill--she has earned her name as the "Red Reaper" for her death count and red hair. She is the only half-vampire in existence, and she works out some of her personal issues by slaying vampires who pose a threat to humanity. Bones is her lover and vampire mentor, and their chemistry has sparks literally flying off the pages. He has a special place in my heart, because with his peroxide-blonde hair, leather trenchcoat, and Cockney-British accent, he is Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer reincarnated. Together, they are one of the hottest couples I've read in literature. I recommend these books for anyone who's bored with Sookie Stackhouse or misses the early days of Anita Blake. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment